Why Robot Trucks Could Be Headed To Afghanistan (And Everywhere Else)

timothy posted about 8 months ago | from the ok-so-which-tragedy-do-you-mean? dept.

Transportation 135

malachiorion writes "I'm surprised I haven't seen more coverage of Lockheed Martin's autonomous truck convoy demonstration — they sent a group of robotified vehicles through urban and rural environments at Fort Hood, without teleoperation or human intervention. It's an interesting milestone, and sort of a tragic one, since troops could have used robotic vehicles in Iraq and Afghanistan. What's fascinating, though, is that Lockheed is hoping to get into Afghanistan just before the U.S. withdraws, to help ferry gear. Plus, they have their sights set on what would be the defense contractor's first real commercial product—kits that turn tractor trailers into autonomous vehicles. Here's my post for Popular Science."

FUCK BETA! (-1, Offtopic)

DIE BETA!

Re:FUCK BETA! (0, Informative)

Please post this to new articles if it hasn't been posted yet.

If you haven't seen Slashdot Beta already, open this [slashdot.org] in a new tab. After seeing that, click here [slashdot.org] to return to classic Slashdot.

We should boycott stories and only discuss the abomination that is Slashdot Beta until Dice abandons the project.
We should boycott slashdot entirely during the week of Feb 10 to Feb 17 as part of the wider slashcott [slashdot.org]

Moderators - only spend mod points on comments that discuss Beta
Commentors - only discuss the Beta - Vote up the Fuck Beta stories

Keep this up for a few days and we may finally get the PHBs attention.

Discussion of Beta [slashdot.org]
Discussion of where to go if Beta goes live [slashdot.org]
Alternative Slashdot [altslashdot.org]

Re:FUCK BETA! (3, Insightful)

maliqua (1316471) | about 8 months ago | (#46179473)

if you have positive karma make sure to disable advertisements as part of your protest, for years i had the option but left them enabled to support /.

Beta sucks (4, Informative)

aaaaaaargh! (1150173) | about 8 months ago | (#46179125)

It doesn't work.

Re:Beta sucks (5, Informative)

NoNonAlphaCharsHere (2201864) | about 8 months ago | (#46179219)

Burn it with fire, sprinkle the ashes with holy water and rock salt and bury them in the Love Canal.

Re:Beta sucks (1)

LordFlower (606949) | about 8 months ago | (#46179299)

The Slashdot staff know we feel this way; have appeared to comment, and are relating our complaints to the developers.

Time to provide detailed informaiton on what we want.

Re:Beta sucks (1, Insightful)

JWW (79176) | about 8 months ago | (#46179453)

I think the key point to what we want from the beta is that we don't want the comments section of the beta to be just like the comments section of every other website that has comments.

There are features and capabilities that exist in the classic website that MUST exist in any future modification of the website.

Just like system updates in the software used by companies, if you upgrade the system and take away the functionality the users rely on day in and day out, expect a horrendous backlash.

The old style of the site may not be pretty, but we've grown accustomed to how it works and what it can do. The new site is pretty and doesn't appear to have given two shits about how the site should really work or has worked in the past.

Re:Beta sucks (0)

Maxo-Texas (864189) | about 8 months ago | (#46179527)

I tested it and I don't find it all that different.

I like the ability to filter on tags tho I wish they were OR, not exclusive (i.e. I could check informative, funny, overrated). Oh yea, and I wish all moderation tags were supported by the filters.

I'm in a very old classic view and on a wide monitor, I'd say 3 to 4 inches of the right side of the screen are wasted for all but the longest posts.

Summary: I'd give it a 7/10 and hope for minor improvements but I do not see why there is such a shitstorm over this change. Feels like groupthink to me.

Re:Beta sucks (0)

AmiMoJo (196126) | about 8 months ago | (#46179659)

It's not just features. It looks shit. The comments are much harder to read. More over there is nothing wrong with the classic layout. It's a refreshing change from the usual bullshit in fact.

Look at other popular crowd sourced news sites. Hacker News, Reddit, Digg. They have a simple text only layout, obviously copied from Slashdot. The format works, all it needs is some better editing and some effort by the editors to foster good discussion.

Re:Beta sucks (0)

acid_andy (534219) | about 8 months ago | (#46179537)

Less whitespace.

Smaller headings.

Less bandwidth intensive images.

The old comment system.

P.S. Beta sucks!

Re:Beta sucks (1)

aaaaaaargh! (1150173) | about 8 months ago | (#46179559)

We want /. classic!

Beta is like curved mobile phones, nobody needs or wants them.

Re:Beta sucks (2)

Velex (120469) | about 8 months ago | (#46179887)

It seems from some of Soulskill's comments that this is a change that's being rammed through from the Higher Ups and the Powers That Be.

It'll be interesting to see how this will play out, and I'm glad to see that there are people already working on building a new "slashdot." I was thinking about doing some hacking on slashcode or coming up with something new entirely this weekend when I'll be more free, but it looks like the initiative is well underway by individuals with better experience at such things than I have.

Something occurred to me today while browsing through all the FUCK BETA comments. I might need to loosen my tinfoil, but who knows. The way things go will be telling. I mean, I like the freaking MS Office ribbon and I'm looking forward to Wayland! FUCKing BETA is just an absolute disaster, but maybe it's intentional.

We know that Dice is a backer of Code.org, and Code.org has been involved in some proposals one might use the euphemism "affirmative action" for, but I prefer to call it what it is: sexism and discrimination based on assigned gender at birth.

This place is one of the few places I know on the internet I can come and participate in discussions about alternate theories about why there are no cis women in programming and whether that's even a problem or not (and get properly downmodded when I cross the line into misogynistic ranting). Personally, I think it is, although others disagree. All of those discussions are completely contradictory to the narrative that Code.org and feminism would like us to believe: that lack of interest from cis women must needs imply some kind of sexism and oppression on the part of all assigned males.

Perhaps the higher ups at Dice think that if they torpedo this site with a horrible excuse for a redesign (it looks like something I would design! and I'll freely admit I'm a terrible graphic artist!), that opinions such as mine and others that run contrary to the feminist narrative that constructs gender as a dichotomy of rapists and victims would lose their soapbox.

Maybe my tinfoil is on too tight, but Dice seems to be demonstrating that in the face of falling revenues from this property, they're willing to have it commit seppuku.

Hopefully I'm wrong and if the boycott next week goes well, Dice will see the light. However, I believe there may be a political element present in Dice that wouldn't mind seeing Slashdot in mothballs.

Dear Dice, please read this. (1, Informative)

There are a lot of snarky comments in the “fuck beta” threads right now, and reading what little has been posted by soulskill, the admins actually think that they are being unfairly targeted by a mob mentality. This is a problem because the issues here will likely get managerial attention at Dice soon and if the executives see what looks like a bunch of juvenile shite in the comments, they are likely to buy into that false world view. If that happens, then Beta will be pushed through and Dice will think of themselves as victims of Anonymous or whatever.

For this reason, I wish to lead a call for all users to spend the time from now until the boycott on the 10th to repost this as soon as a new story is posted.

----------------------

Dice: Frankly, many of us want a new design, Classic is broken in so many ways. But beta is terrible, and this is what is wrong:

* The value that Slashdot brings to its users is not in its articles. Frankly, the articles are terrible. The value that Slashdot provides is a discussion forum for self-selected nerds.

* As such, it is vital that you remember that the community is not just an audience, it is also your primary content creator.

* Your new redesign does not allow the community to create (or even consume) content because:
          - It makes it impossible to follow discussions in the comments sections. This is largely because of the max-width on window and the fact that of the space left over is taken up by a useless sidebar. The vertical spacing is also overdone.
            - Slashdot has a fragile but effective moderation system. Your changes make it impossible for readers to leverage that system to read a high quality discussion and ignore the trolls.
          - It disregards conventions of the community. UIDs matter. We’re nerds. We understand that you need to attract a younger audience, but for a lot of us (including the younguns) it is thrilling to see a post from somebody who has been there from the beginning.

* In the last 24 hours Soulskill has bitterly commented that the community has been involved since October and that they also get emails supporting the new design; only the comments are an echo chamber. This comment demonstrates a deep incompetence in your development team. Soulskill should have been citing A-B testing numbers. A-B testing is cheap, easy and effective but instead you are taking stabs in the dark.

* Your ability to attain user acceptance is dismal. A number of years ago, when Taco needed to modernize the site, he solicited the community for designs, and awarded the best designer and used that design. That is how you leverage a community and gain their acceptance: incorporate them in the design process. As a bonus, you won’t have utterly useless redesigns that will either ruin your website or have to be scrapped.

Re:Dear Dice, please read this. (0)

EL_mal0 (777947) | about 8 months ago | (#46179593)

Thank you for your insightful comments. I wish I had mod points to give, but the best I can do is this comment to try to draw some attention to this fine AC comment.

Beta (0)

So what do people think of the new beta then?

Same thing we always think! (2)

Zynder (2773551) | about 8 months ago | (#46179551)

***puts on sombrero, readies Cheech Marin voice from Dusk Till Dawn**** *AHEM*

FUUUCK EEET!

First Post! (5, Insightful)

I’ve been lurking Slashdot for over 10 years and never posted before. It’s a bit sad that my first post is going to sound like a eulogy

I don’t like the beta-look, I think it is going to break the community and I’ll join in on the boycott next week.

Just in the case nobody comes back, I wanted to thank you, Slashdot.

Thanks for showing me there’s more people “like me” and thanks for making me proud to call myself a nerd.

I remember the Good Times. When we could still Slashdot a site, when Rob proposed, when we called the ipod lame, when ‘we’ fought scientology (before it was cool to fight ‘m) and when we heard Firefly was made into a movie :)
And the tough times, when the community really showed it’s good side, 9/11 comes to mind as well as the deaths of several pioneers in tech.

Although Slashdot always has news 3 days after every other blog, it’s still months before my friends know any of it. If only I had set up a beowulf cluster of bitcoin miners when Slashdot first started posting about it :)

But the best part remains the commenting. I was and am still amazed by the depth some people go to post their comments. The relatable stories of the new guy, or the insights of the old guy (shout out to all you get-off-my-lawn-ers / low-id). And I remember being touched on a deep level by some very personal comments; a comment of struggling just with being who you are — and then getting a reply by multiple people who had the same experience.

Thanks also for always showing the other side of things. I never RTFA’d (something to be proud of, I guess), I new better what was going on than anybody else through the comments.
By posting, you show part of your thoughts, and seeing many people’s thoughts also makes opinions more moderate. I have a better understanding now of things I would otherwise strongly oppose. It sounds cheesy, but I know I’m a better person because of it.

Slashdot has been my home for a long time, eventhough it changed through the years. I hope it’ll stay, but I’ve grown pessimistic.

So, so long and thanks for all the fish!

I’ll see y’all lurking somewhere else :) (XKCD-forum, most likely)

Re:First Post! (2)

wjwlsn (94460) | about 8 months ago | (#46179499)

This kind of post is one of the things that makes Slashdot (in its current form) so special... and in a very "meta" fashion, does it while describing that special quality so perfectly.

Thank you, Anonymous Coward.

Re:First Post! (1)

TheloniousToady (3343045) | about 8 months ago | (#46179553)

As long as we're sharing heartwarming stories, mine amounts to the fact that Slashdot put me onto Drupal. (I know, many of you prefer other CMS's like WordPress.) I've since made several websites with Drupal. It's allowed me to do some sophisticated things I couldn't have done otherwise and made a big impact on my small home business. I'm not sure I would have found it otherwise because I wasn't even looking for a CMS at the time. Thanks, Slashdot!

Re:First Post! (1)

THIS is the value of Slashdot and what makes it so unique. True, this value doesn't translate well to a line item on an MBA spreadsheet; however, most things that make this world more interesting rarely do.

Re:First Post! (1)

PGC (880972) | about 8 months ago | (#46179787)

Wish I had mod points ...

Re:First Post! (2)

deconfliction (3458895) | about 8 months ago | (#46179825)

Although Slashdot always has news 3 days after every other blog,

Seriously, wasn't slashdot the website that _defined_ the term 'blog'. Why is it I feel that we need some sort of historical landmark style legal protection for slashdot in this regard?

If you completely redesign slashdot, make it look completely different from what it originally was, how will the future generations get the right idea about where the global information superhighway that is a fundamental part of their existence came from? Yes, I'm being a bit overzealous, but if I were holding onto the reigns of something so profoundly historical (in internet history terms), I would feel an obligation to maintain the old interfaces. Surely there are no *technical* or *financial* reasons why the old interfaces cannot be kept around? Computers are good like that.

Re:First Post! (0)

I've also been lurking for about 10 years, I wonder how many other people have been doing the same? My first comments came yesterday in the form of "+10000" to a fuck beta post. I've also started looking for alternatives. While I'm at it fuck google for trying to make me use a google plus account every time I visit youtube.

Send robot trucks to... (1)

jdastrup (1075795) | about 8 months ago | (#46179143)

...the slashdot beta.

Crash robot trucks into the Dice managment. (0, Troll)

starcraftsicko (647070) | about 8 months ago | (#46179229)

It's their fault. The PHB overlords! Fuckbeta!
http://www.investor.diceholdin... [diceholdingsinc.com]

Complain to investor relations. If this is how Dice manages holdings, the company will be worthless soon. Investor relations should warn everyone to get out now.

Yes Jennifer, you have a responsibility to warn the investors.

Jennifer Bewley
VP, Investor Relations

Phone: 212-448-4181
or 515-313-2086
E-Mail: IR@dice.com

fuckbeta!

Re:Send robot trucks to... (1)

richlv (778496) | about 8 months ago | (#46179547)

"beta" is a fucking shame, as this would have been an interesting discussion thread. this is like pre-boycott... it's worse than actual boycott.

fuck beta.

Oh, I Know!! (0)

To get away from Slashdot beta?

FuckBeta!

Purpose? (2, Insightful)

PCM2 (4486) | about 8 months ago | (#46179163)

I don't really see what good these autonomous vehicles will do. They won't do anything to help get rid of Slashdot Beta, so what's the point?

Re:Purpose? (2)

Daniel Dvorkin (106857) | about 8 months ago | (#46179273)

The Taliban and al-Qaeda are desperately hoping that the software is written by the Slashdot Beta coding team.

Re:Purpose? (3, Funny)

AmiMoJo (196126) | about 8 months ago | (#46179695)

I think that would contravene the Geneva Convention. Some weapons are just too terrible to use.

ask the conservative block (0)

they have no problem being clear about replacing us with custom made monkeys http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=stallman%20chomsky&sm=3

Robot Slashdot? (2, Insightful)

kolbe (320366) | about 8 months ago | (#46179175)

Slashdot is obviously being run by a bunch of autonomous jackasses who prefer to follow "trends" in the "latest" website designs than using what works.

Re:Robot Slashdot? (0)

Suck it, kolbe!

Re:Robot Slashdot? (0)

I never thought I would say this...but, "Please CmdrTaco, come back!!!!!!!" SAVE US FROM DICE!!!! THIS IS INHUMAN!!!!

Rob, it's worse than reading your idiot summaries, poor grammar and inability to spel properly. At least

The Beta, The (last one from me today) (5, Informative)

d34thm0nk3y (653414) | about 8 months ago | (#46179187)

Please post this to new articles if it hasn't been posted yet. (Copy-paste the html from here [pastebin.com] so links don't get mangled!)

On February 5, 2014, Slashdot announced through a javascript popup that they are starting to "move in to" the new Slashdot Beta design. Slashdot Beta is a trend-following attempt to give Slashdot a fresh look, an approach that has led to less space for text and an abandonment of the traditional Slashdot look. Much worse than that, Slashdot Beta fundamentally breaks the classic Slashdot discussion and moderation system.

Moderators - only spend mod points on comments that discuss Beta
Commentors - only discuss Beta
http://slashdot.org/recent [slashdot.org] - Vote up the Fuck Beta stories

Keep this up for a few days and we may finally get the PHBs attention.

-----=====##### LINKS #####=====-----

Discussion of Beta: http://slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=view&id=56395415 [slashdot.org]
Discussion of where to go if Beta goes live: http://slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=view&type=submission&id=3321441 [slashdot.org]
Alternative Slashdot: http://altslashdot.org [altslashdot.org] (thanks Okian Warrior (537106) [slashdot.org] )

The Last One (Today)? (3, Informative)

cervesaebraciator (2352888) | about 8 months ago | (#46179317)

If beta isn't stopped, it will be time to leave. Until that time, it's probably best to protest about it in shifts. Pick a time of the day to make your complaint known, then leave off visiting Slashdot for the day. Otherwise, today's protests will be just a flash in the pan. Constantly protesting is rather demoralizing, but it should continue until the beta is obligatory. Think of it, therefore, as a hike rather than a sprint.

Re:The Last One (Today)? (1, Insightful)

dysmal (3361085) | about 8 months ago | (#46179409)

Don't forget on their G+ feed when they post. I don't know what they're doing on FB since i'm not on there but if you can, then make some noise!

Re:The Last One (Today)? (1)

d34thm0nk3y (653414) | about 8 months ago | (#46179799)

Yeah, I get ya. Mostly trying to get word of the boycott out. Tomorrow is Friday and I don't visit over the weekend generally. Boycott starts Monday.

You'll probably see more from me tomorrow. Then I'll be off for a week. Then we'll see what happens.

Re:The Beta, The (last one from me today) (0)

Re:The Beta, The (last one from me today) (3, Insightful)

dmomo (256005) | about 8 months ago | (#46179461)

These copy paste posts are ok, but people will soon gloss over them. Try to work hate for the beta in with an on-topic comment.

Download Comments While You Can! (1)

Iskender (1040286) | about 8 months ago | (#46179557)

Hello, everyone.

Now is the time: if you have some comment/thread you really like, accesible through search or bookmark, then you should

SAVE THE POST OR THREAD!

With the direction things are going, they may very well disable linking to posts. We may lose the Slashdot archive!

There's no way to back it all up, but we *can* preserve the gems. So, save the good stuff so it won't disappear!

Let's Replace Beta (0)

Deltaspectre (796409) | about 8 months ago | (#46179193)

Check out ##AltSlashdot on Freenode IRC network for more discussion.

Re:Let's Replace Beta (0)

Yo, I got slashtod.org setup with vanilla forums - altslashdot seems down

I heard... (0)

CoolHnd30 (89871) | about 8 months ago | (#46179195)

Slashdot Beta was getting shipped to Afghanistan!!! Fuk the Beta -- send it away!

Dice can suck on my chocolate salt balls... (0)

Less dangerous than Beta? (2, Insightful)

DrSlinky (710703) | about 8 months ago | (#46179203)

Could robotic, self driving trucks make more of a mess than the beta? Seems unlikely.

Beta Sucks (1)

The whole point of feedback is, well, feedback. It's not to make you feel good that you pretended to take users' input into account before just forcing a Beta down their throats that they have been providing feedback on for months. Seriously, is asking for comments that don't get squished in a canyon of whitespace too hard of a suggestion to implement?

Slightly off-topic, but... (1)

What are people's thoughts on the Slashdot Beta?

Re:Slightly off-topic, but... (2)

NoNonAlphaCharsHere (2201864) | about 8 months ago | (#46179275)

LOAD MOAR

What could possibly go (axle) wrong? (1)

WillAffleckUW (858324) | about 8 months ago | (#46179215)

I can't think (radio signal interference) what could go wrong (rock slide) with this approach (mine).

Great (massive failure) idea!

Anti-Beta IRC (0)

#Slashdot on Slashnet

Beta abstinance. (2)

LaminatorX (410794) | about 8 months ago | (#46179235)

I am declining to read or discuss this article, in protest.

I will not visit this site at all Feb 10 through Feb 17, as part of the slashcott. http://slashcott.com/ [slashcott.com]

Re:Beta abstinance. (2)

phantomfive (622387) | about 8 months ago | (#46179889)

Wouldn't it be more of a protest if you actually read the article? I mean, isn't not reading the article the normal way of doing things?

Re:Beta abstinance. (1)

LaminatorX (410794) | about 8 months ago | (#46179941)

I must be new here. ;)

Truck beta! (0)

If only we could put the beta on robot trucks and send it to Afghanistan!

I'd rather look at Goatse than Slashdot Beta (0)

I'd like Slashdot Beta to disapear into a black hole.

autononomously awesome (1)

t0qer (230538) | about 8 months ago | (#46179255)

Autononymous semi truck convoys would have a better grasp on slashdots layout than DICE.

Why is there no slashdot beta poll on slashdot? (1, Insightful)

"What do you think of the new Slashdot Beta?"

• - It's great!
  • - It's okay
  • - I have no opinion
  • - It sucks
  • - It makes me want to claw my eyeballs out!

I for one would love to see the results of such a poll. Is there a silent majority or isn't there? This would be an easy way to find out.

Unfortunately I get the feeling that there's a strong back room agenda behind this beta thing. But they are forgetting that slashdotters are not an audience; they are the content creators. Piss them off and your site is doomed.

Re:Why is there no slashdot beta poll on slashdot? (0)

great idea....doubt we'll see it happen

Re:Why is there no slashdot beta poll on slashdot? (4, Interesting)

FunPika (1551249) | about 8 months ago | (#46179353)

There is a strong back room agenda behind this beta thing. I don't want to find the link and quote right now, but basically Dice Holdings has decided that Slashdot is unprofitable. Now they are either desperately doing stupid stuff in an attempt to draw in new users to make it profitable or they are trying to kill it with this beta so no one is left to mourn Slashdot's passing when they announce they are shutting it down. Honestly, nothing we can do can change this. Just like with other websites like YouTube where stupid redesigns happen, these "betas" rarely if ever will seriously consider feedback to dump the whole thing or allow using the old design. They are set on the general paradigm behind the beta. Dice is really only interested in this point at hearing about minor annoyances that won't affect too much overall and bug reports we have for it.

ALICE HILL RUINED SLASHDOT (-1)

ALICE HILL YOU ARE A NARCISSIST JUST LIKE VIC GUNDOTRA WHO RUINED GOOGLE

Fuck slash beta
Fuck slash beta
Fuck slash beta
Fuck slash beta
Fuck slash beta
Fuck slash beta

No comment (1)

bopal (201900) | about 8 months ago | (#46179289)

Are those the same autonomous crapvertisement drones that run slashdot now?

Why Slashdot Users Could Be Headed to Afghanistan (1)

dntslashdotslashbet (3528261) | about 8 months ago | (#46179295)

NO BETA!

ateB kcuF (1)

DaveRexel (887813) | about 8 months ago | (#46179315)

Inflicting this Bumptious Emiction of Turgent Agnosy on this site indicates a state of being massively uninformed.

One wonders if the small throwable objects with multiple resting positions are at all aware of the annoyance expressed by their disgruntled visitors.

This will all end in tears.

Not Google cars (3, Insightful)

TrumpetPower! (190615) | about 8 months ago | (#46179325)

i've been telling people for a while that the first we'll see of autonomous vehicles in any big way isn't in personal Google-style vehicles, but in the long-haul trucking industry.

Now I know that's true, because it's the only physically possible way to safely haul away the toxic mess that's the fucking Beta shit being sprayed everywhere like something out of a low-budget slashbeta horror flick.

Fuck the Beta,

b&

This is interesting (0)

I wish there was an easy way to read the comments. Fuck Beta.

First ever comment - long time lurker - beta (0)

Hi Slashdot,

This is the first time I've ever commented on slashdot, even though I have been reading for over 10 years. Grade A lurker - though I have submitted some stories and was delighted when they made the front page.

To keep it really short - the reason I love slashdot it mainly the comments and the consistency of the site over the years. Your new beta is terrible - I can't follow the comments at all and each story seems to take up half my screen. I don't come here for fancy graphics or web 2.0 crap, I come here to find news for nerds!

If you force the beta on me and disable classic slashdot you will lose me as a user.

Regards,
Anon coward #1

More than meets the eye! (1)

GodfatherofSoul (174979) | about 8 months ago | (#46179341)

The demo will roll coolly towards camera #1 in slo-mo as the village explodes behind it; assuming Bay is directing this program.

Racial overtones to "MOVIN' ON UP"? (0, Interesting)

My understanding is that the phrase "MOVIN' ON UP" comes from the theme song of a 1970s and 1980s American TV show called The Jeffersons. It is also my understanding that the show revolves around an African-American couple and the trials and tribulations they must deal with in their daily lives.

Given its ties to the African-American culture and experience, I find it a very odd phrase to be used here. While there are African-Americans here, no doubt, it is my understanding that the Slashdot demographic is generally that of the middle-aged white male.

The contrast between the phrase's origin and how it's being used here gives me the impression, perhaps wrongly, that we're being mocked by it.

It's inherently contradictory, at its most elemental level. The Slashdot beta is obviously inferior to the existing site. Some may even go so far as to say that the beta site is a steaming pile of horse shit. So being forced to use it clearly is not comparable to "moving on up" in society.

At a deeper level, the use of that phrase gives me the impression, again perhaps wrongly, that we users of Slashdot are considered an "underclass" here, much as African-Americans have been historically treated as such in the United States. It's as if we're being told that we are individuals with no free will; we are forced into doing the bidding of others. In this case, we are forced against our will to use the rancid Slashdot beta site.

I think it's a very poor choice of words, personally. While I don't care much for political correctness, I also do not care much for the unnecessary use of phrases that may be misinterpreted so easily. I care even less for wording that may very well be mocking me and my fellow Slashdot users, especially when there's the possibility that there's a racial element to it.

What's to the left of the truck? (0)

Is it just me, but are those waterboarding tables to the left of the truck?

I'll join the 'Fuck Beta' crowd! UP WITH NNTP!!! (2)

RocketRabbit (830691) | about 8 months ago | (#46179371)

I purposely turned off Javascript on my browser completely, just to defeat Beta. It turns out that it improves the entire internet massively - I am no longer pulling 50+ scripts from Science knows where on every site.

Fuck Beta and fuck Javascript.

People are suggesting that we should go to another web site, or form one, to get out of the Slashdot Beta trap, but I will put forth a suggestion - this could be an opportunity to rejuvenate Usenet, to post in the manifold moribund groups, and to create a renaissance of uncensored Internet joy such as was common in the old days. No longer should we merely enrich some soulless company just to have a handy discussion forum.

Usenet presents many advantages. It is not controlled by any one entity, it works well for low-bandwidth users, one can completely shit-can abusive posters, popular topics are promoted by replies and not by peevish moderators, and it allows discussions that can last many months or years.

I know that many ISPs no longer provide Usenet feeds, but if you search for Eternal September you will find a very nice, free (donations accepted) Usenet provider, the only caveat being that binaries are not allowed. I use it and I suggest you all do to.

[FUCK BETA] The Beta sucks balls (1)

The new look really sucks. FUCK BETA!

/. Caps Filter Defeat (0)

May be of interest, [slashdot.org] as this site has now become a 24/7 harangue against the editors/owners. How'd this guy do it? HOW?

Lockheed more successful than... (2)

dave562 (969951) | about 8 months ago | (#46179385)

...slashdot beta.

I am sure that their trucks will be more well received. And unlike Slashdot beta, the troops will want to use them.

In other news, TheLadders.com > dice.com

Beta sucks (1)

CdBee (742846) | about 8 months ago | (#46179391)

The internet is not like a series of trucks. However if robot trucks can take the people who designed Beta to Afghanistan,that would be nice.

Please listen to the feedback! (4, Insightful)

Mortiss (812218) | about 8 months ago | (#46179393)

I have been reading Slashdot since 2001, although mostly anonymously. Over the years, this site has exposed me to enormous wealth of knowledge outside my area of expertise. This was only possible thanks to the great community of people whose comments have expanded each post much beyond the scope of original submission. It is this community that makes this site and makes me come back here daily.

Now this community has clearly stated that proposed BETA changes are not wanted and even worse will drive many of the old users away from this site. Others have clearly outlined the faults of the new BETA and the effect it will have on commenting and moderation. This feedback should not be ignored.

Hence, please reconsider BETA or at least listen to the community feedback on how to improve it!

Upvoting stories in the firehose is an exercise in (3, Informative)

blind biker (1066130) | about 8 months ago | (#46179401)

FUTILITY!!!! I've tried to upvote countless topics related to the suckiness of Slashdot's new UI. Or even topics that were just trying to discuss the issue (no bias in the title). NONE of these gets picked. Not one.

Fuck Slashdot Beta even more, because the admins are gaming the system to protect the beta UI from criticism.

Slashdot Beta. (0)

If Rob Malda were alive he would be outraged at what Dice is doing to Slashdot.

yeah great (1)

epyT-R (613989) | about 8 months ago | (#46179421)

This will go over well when one of these trucks mows down a kid.

Beta- more space for BAD ads (2)

anthony_greer (2623521) | about 8 months ago | (#46179439)

so the beta is obviously just a ploy to cram more ads into our already way-over-exposed-to-ads eyeballs, but the ads you do show SUCK...I keep getting ads for a hotel that I looked at several hours ago for a business trip that is already booked now...and at home I get ads for stuff that I already bought on amazon...give me a break! how stupid is this targeting? and why do we need more of it again?

Even a ROBOT could avoid this land mine... (5, Insightful)

Nightbrood (6060) | about 8 months ago | (#46179451)

I don't know what DICE was thinking (perhaps they weren't) but it doesn't take a genius to figure out they need to stop the beta site and stop it now. Unlike every other news aggregator, the majority of the people are here FOR the discussion forums. We also submit the news, vote on what should be published, comment on the news, moderate the comments, and moderate the moderators. DICE you don't do a damn thing compared to what the community gives to you in exchange for access to the site.

Pull your collective heads out of your various orifices and fix this while you have time. Without the community you have NOTHING to sell. Want proof? Look at comments on stories from a week ago versus comments today... with the community protesting you have nothing of value to sell other than a niche already covered by CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, Fox, and God knows how many other sites that now aggregate the news. Slashdot will NEVER be a mainstream site... Fix this NOW or the community will fix it for you.

DICE & Timmy in the lair Ep2 (1)

labnet (457441) | about 8 months ago | (#46179469)

DICE: Pass me a cuban timmy.
TIMOTHY: A Habanos or a Cubatabaco sir?
DICE: Timmy my boy. You don't get to sit in the big chair without getting a fidel.
TIMOTHY: A fidel sir?
DICE: Yes, finest cuban a man could ever have. Rolled by Fidel Castro himself; In fact I'm suprised the man didn't hand deliver it.
TIMOTHY: You sound kind of... powerful sir.
DICE: Timy you have no idea of my power. I'm going squash all those /.ers 'till bitcoins start popping out their asses.
TIMOTHY: How sir?
DICE: Beta. Haven't you seen it Timy. It's brilliant. I've had the finest MBA's from Harvard & Princeton working day and night on this. I pulled a lot a favours to get this level of talent and I'll be **ucked if some geratric old world BBS has beens are stopping me. Timmy, it's the future. Web 2.0 is yesterdays news. Its a new paradigm. Young people can't think more than a 160 characters so why should beta. Big fonts Timmy.. and pictures. People don't like reading Timmy. The chineese had it right all along. Picture words. Its the future timmy. Ride my coat tails Son. Well be Rich.. Rich I say...

Better Ridge's Law (1)

TeknoHog (164938) | about 8 months ago | (#46179477)

Every headline asking the question "why" can be answered by "Well, you know, sir, because I really like to fuck beta".

FUCK BETA (0)

FUCK BETA

Beta is garbage. (1)

Adult film producer (866485) | about 8 months ago | (#46179517)

1. Einleitung Dieses HOWTO enthÃlt viele Informationen aus dem Serial HOWTO von Greg Hankins und behandelt externe und interne Modems. Bei den internen Modems liegt der Schwerpunkt auf der Behandlung von ISA-Bus-Modems, obwohl das meiste auch für PCI-Bus-Modems gelten sollte. Für PCMCIA- Modems siehe das (englische) PCMCIA HOWTO: ÂPCMCIA serial and modem devicesÂ. Dieses HOWTO behandelt weder PPP (Point-To-Point Protocol, es wird verwendet, um mit Hilfe eines Modems eine Verbindung zum Internet herzustellen) noch Kommunikationsprogramme. Es erklÃrt aber, wie Kommunikationsprogramme verwendet werden, um zu testen, ob Ihr Modem korrekt funktioniert und eine Verbindung aufgebaut werden kann. Wenn Sie ein Modem verwenden mÃchten, um einen Zugang zum Internet zu bekommen, dann ist es notwendig, PPP einzurichten. Es gibt eine Menge Dokumentation über PPP (siehe z.B. im Verzeichnis /usr/doc/ppp; es gibt auch ein PPP HOWTO).

Disabled ads& Fuck Beta (0)

j-stroy (640921) | about 8 months ago | (#46179533)

PS Fuck Beta

I've Disabled Ads

Not Posting relevant comments

Boycotting.

Stupid Timestamps (just one stupid beta stupidity) (0)

Things like "about half an hour ago" are useless. Fucking insulting too. Give me a TIMESTAMP! It is made of numbers. It is absolute.

This has been item 527 in a 10,000 element series on WHY THE BETA SUCKS.

liability issues (1)

Joe_Dragon (2206452) | about 8 months ago | (#46179691)

or they can be like uber and let the victim be the one holding the bag.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t... [google.com]

wait for the auto truck to drive tail of dragon... (1)

Joe_Dragon (2206452) | about 8 months ago | (#46179699)

wait for the auto truck to the drive tail of dragon and fail
http://tailofthedragon.com/dra... [tailofthedragon.com]

These are robotic tank prototypes (0)

The USA wants to establish the principle that slaughtering all those in the vicinity of a robotic war machine, in order to protect said war machine, is acceptable in a 'war zone'. Essentially, the good functioning of a US war machine trumps the right to life of any number of 'sub Humans' in a target nation.

-So, you start with robot 'trucks' that have COMPLETE LEGAL IMMUNITY to murder any other road user via vehicular 'accident'.
-Now, with the principle established that the robot vehicles are potentially fatal for ordinary road users, you establish the IMPLIED principle that any person in the vicinity of the robot vehicle is a viable target. An 'innocent civilian' obviously wouldn't risk their life by being close to such a vehicle that can legally murder them in an 'accident'.
-Now you have the excuse for declaring the need for the robotic vehicle to 'deal' with any other vehicles or people that choose to place themselves close to the robot. This means arming the vehicle, and placing armed drones in the air above the vehicle.

Thus we arrive at the desired goal of Google- the US robotic tank- a tank with complete 'authority' all Humans within range, by describing such Humans as perceived threats. Google is the force behind these initiatives, not LM or the other dinosaur military suppliers.

Google looks at Iran, and the current US unwillingness to attack and invade, as the most important problem they wish to solve. Nations threatened by Google's robotic projects will, of course, seek to give their populace the ability to disable/destroy such unmanned equipment, which is why Google DEMANDS an automatic death sentence for any Human involved in an attack against one of their future war machines. And this means ensuring that US robots are ALWAYS valued more highly than any number of Human lives in the nations Google wants the USA to attack.

Job opportunity (1)

amightywind (691887) | about 8 months ago | (#46179719)

Must be hard to find willing Taliban drivers. Or perhaps the trunks could be boobytrapped for the unsuspecting hijacker.

Beta Sucks (1)

tekpagan (113878) | about 8 months ago | (#46179745)

LISTEN TO YOUR USERBASE OR .... (1)

Adeptus_Luminati (634274) | about 8 months ago | (#46179783)

.... die a death of ZERO clicks

The rest of the net doesn't understand (1)

Thanosius (3519547) | about 8 months ago | (#46179841)

I haven't really seen much coverage over the Slashdot beta spat elsewhere on the net. There was a small post on the geek section of reddit but a lot of commenters there just considered Slashdotters to be incapable of change and whiners and if they didn't like the change, they could get their news elsewhere.

People outside of Slashdot don't seem to realise that we don't go to Slashdot for news - not primarily anyway, since topics are often brought out late and with poor editorializing. We come here because out of the cesspool of other tech sites with absolutely idiotic postings and continual flamewars from kids who don't know any better, Slashdot at least seems to have a lot of actually intelligent people who can craft a post with some meat on it. These posts then get elevated to Score 4/5's fairly quickly and by careful use of filters allows some manner of decent commenting. THAT's the feature of Slashdot that people come back to, not the news. Of course reddit has smart people too, but dumb posts that pander to mainstream humor tend to get high karma over there which tends to push quality discussion to small subs.

Glorious of BETA Wow! work (0)

If you think Dice's story is funny, well my mother-in-law's Aunt's Nephew's ex-life partner made $4896.27 last week working at the home only 3.75 hours!!! Enough to buy a new site with no BETA! And a Saab 900 Turbo.

J/K. But at least we don't have much of that crap here. Oh, and--

FUCK BETA!

Load More... (0)

Shazbot! We ran into some trouble getting the hint that Beta sucks.
Try again... na-nu, na-nu!

Or not invade other countries (0)

For oil. That would have been a less costly solution than the automation of destruction.

Not just trucks (1)

jamesl (106902) | about 8 months ago | (#46180013)

(Reuters) - The U.S. Marine Corps has extended indefinitely its use of two unmanned K-MAX heavy lift helicopters in Afghanistan, a Navy spokeswoman said, noting the aircraft kept re-supply trucks off the road and reduced the threat of roadside bombs.
The Marine Corps sent the new autonomous helicopters, which were developed by Lockheed Martin Corp and privately-held Kaman Aerospace, to Afghanistan in November 2011 for an initial, limited deployment, but has extended their use several times.
Now, Naval Air Systems Command has decided to continue using the aircraft indefinitely, said Jamie Cosgrove, a spokeswoman for the Navy command, which also oversees Marine Corps aircraft.

http://www.reuters.com/article... [reuters.com]

Call and let them know (3, Informative)

jensend (71114) | about 8 months ago | (#46180023)

Calling the number Dice lists for Slashdot [diceholdingsinc.com] results in a recording which in turn tells you to call 415-625-0856.

The receptionist type who answered was polite, said they'd already had several calls today, jotted down my complaints to relay once more to a guy who's involved with the beta, and said "we're withholding his snacks until this is fixed." They said it was nice to realize there were people out there who were passionate about the site.

Make your voice heard. Let them know that wasting screen space, butchering comment sections, etc are going to result in their visitors leaving en masse. If the phone is ringing all day, day in and day out, with users who don't want to see this place ruined, perhaps things will turn around.

Submission Text Formatting Tips

We support a small subset of HTML, namely these tags:

• b
  • em
  • strong
  • tt
  • blockquote
  • div
  • ecode

"ecode" can be used for code snippets, for example:

<ecode>    while(1) { do_something(); } </ecode>