Australian Police Deploy 3D Crime Scene Scanner

timothy posted about 6 months ago | from the can't-replace-a-good-blood-spatter-analyst dept.

Australia 65

angry tapir writes "Police in the Australian state of Queensland will employ a handheld laser scanner that can be used to map crime scenes, including in areas where there is no GPS reception. The police will use the Australian developed Zebedee laser scanner: A LiDAR scanner that is mounted on a spring. As a user walks around, the spring moves and the scanner captures the surrounding area. Software processing then uses the data to construct a 3D model. Previously the technology has been used to capture areas of cultural significance, such as the interior of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. As an added bonus, the Zebedee looks ridiculous when in use."

Dear Dice (0, Offtopic)

Bill Dimm (463823) | about 6 months ago | (#46238391)

Three VIDEO ADS on the homepage, and for FASHION THEATER (whatever that is), no less? Are you completely out of your minds?

And, where is the link allowing people with good karma to disable ads? I've always tolerated the ads in the past to support the site, but this nonsense is ridiculous. I cannot have a bunch of worthless video ads sucking bandwidth away from my VoIP. Either get rid of this nonsense or I won't be coming here anymore.

Re:Dear Dice (-1, Offtopic)

aDBLOCK.

gEt WiTh dA FuTUre HoMie

eVenn US niGgAS BE dOnE knoWN BoUt Da aDdON cALLEd aDbLoCk

Re:Dear Dice (1)

After extensive market research, we have decided to stop showing the ads you want or simply ignore, and start showing the ads you really ought to watch. You nerds need some fashion sense.

Sincerely,
    Dice

Re:Dear Dice (1)

davester666 (731373) | about 6 months ago | (#46239889)

no, these were targeted ads. the man was just surfing victoria secret's website.

Re:Dear Dice (0)

aardvarkjoe (156801) | about 6 months ago | (#46238497)

And, where is the link allowing people with good karma to disable ads?

Like Firefox developers, they decided that everything was better as an extension. Get Adblock, be happy.

I just disabled adblock to see what the complaint was about, and yep, there are autoplaying video ads. Some idiot has absolutely no idea who their audience is. It's getting obvious that the end for slashdot is near.

I apparently still have the option, but with lots of users complaining about it being missing it sounds like they're probably rolling out a removal -- and hoping that goes better than when they tried to roll out the beta site.

Re:Dear Dice (-1)

I bEeN SaID dA SaME tInG DiS NiGga DiD DoNe sAiD BuT hE GoT Da MoD poINtS

DAS RACIST

Re:Dear Dice (0)

Bill Dimm (463823) | about 6 months ago | (#46238565)

I apparently still have the option...

The option to turn the ads off finally popped up for me on a different page, so I've got them disabled now. I just wonder how long they will continue to honor it when stupidity like this causes the majority of people to use it.

Re:Dear Dice (0)

aBlOCk HomIE

wHiLE uR At iT, fLaPpy BirDS bE GoOd ToO

HOST file (0)

looser! your EDUCATED STUPID, every right-thinking geek knows that only the four-fold symmetry of the multidimensional HOSTS file can protect you from the EVIL of intarweb ads

I just watched the video (4, Funny)

93 Escort Wagon (326346) | about 6 months ago | (#46238425)

I swear, sometimes it seems like electrical and computer engineers are on a mission to make everyone else look as socially inept and awkward as they are.

I hope someone's recording the first time some guy is walking around with that Zebedee and happens to approach a group of attractive women... the jokes will write themselves!

Re:I just watched the video (0)

Engineering is the leper of professions.

Re:I just watched the video (3, Funny)

K. S. Kyosuke (729550) | about 6 months ago | (#46238897)

Almost. They could have gone one step further and named it the Flail of Minor Digitization.

Re:I just watched the video (1)

GameboyRMH (1153867) | about 6 months ago | (#46238995)

For some reason, my first thought when I saw the guy slowly walking through the building swinging that thing around was "CyberPope"

Re:I just watched the video (0)

They absolutely need to make this in to a hat.

Re:I just watched the video (1)

rhysweatherley (193588) | about 6 months ago | (#46240887)

Actually I know a little bit about this as I once interviewed for that project before they temporarily lost their funding. Traditional scanners need 2 or more LiDAR emitters on separate axes to build up a 3D scan. They also need to be physically mounted in a stable location which makes it hard to map buildings with staircases and hidden rooms. The purpose of the spring is to flop the scanner around so that a single LiDAR emitter can get a complete view of the environment as the holder walks around along all possible axes. It can also be mounted on unstable platforms like automated farm tractors. The rest is software.

Re:I just watched the video (1)

K. S. Kyosuke (729550) | about 6 months ago | (#46241579)

I would have thought that the actual purpose of the spring is to act as a mechanical low pass filter for the inertial platform to give meaningful results, since what you're saying doesn't make much sense.

Re:I just watched the video (2)

cheater512 (783349) | about 6 months ago | (#46241801)

Nope. That is what makes this system interesting. I needs to be deliberately unstable.

The spring makes it flop around in all directions from just the slightest movements by the operator.

Floppy (0)

'Floppy' returns to the lexicon.

Grand Central NY (0)

If you look around the billboard in grand Central NY you will see one already there. It's a small unit so pay attention.

First use: (4, Funny)

The Archon V2.0 (782634) | about 6 months ago | (#46238473)

Checking for any jack-in-the-box crime near the Magic Roundabout.

Re:First use: (0)

I hope at the team that created it has at least one Florence and Dougal.

Big deal. (0)

Police have used similar devices in the US for years. There was even a television program called Crime 360 that used a Leica 3D laser camera.

Man. Is this what passes for "nerd" news now on Slashdot? What's next? Articles on how to install Windows 98 SE?

Re:Big deal. (0)

The next breathless hysterical story will be about how we'll 3D print the crime scenes to help solve crimes, even though no one will have 3D printed a crime scene or helped solve more crimes because of it.

Re:Big deal. (0)

Oh wow. I just read TFA...so this is a handheld unit sans GPS. Wow. Am I impressed or what? Not really.

Eventually they'll integrate such tech into consumer cameras and then we'll have something akin to holo-recorders as seen in Star Trek: Voyager.

Fascinating...

Re:Big deal. (1)

scdeimos (632778) | about 6 months ago | (#46240645)

Yeah, describing it as "handheld" is kind of misleading. The photo in TFA shows *just* the handheld part, there's a much larger piece of equipment attached via cable and worn backpack-style...

http://research.ict.csiro.au/events/event-gallery/cebit-germany/cebit-germany-2012/DSC_3736.JPG/image_view_fullscreen [csiro.au]

Re:Big deal. (1)

Rob Zlot (3536971) | about 6 months ago | (#46242551)

That photo is from a much older version of the system, and the pack is mostly empty space. The system components are not "much larger" and are shown at the start of the video: http://youtu.be/DUEAz_naHHg [youtu.be]

Re:Big deal. (0)

You think this one's bad, there's a thread about a stupid Donald Trump "reality" show!

I miss my old slashdot...

Helmet Mounted Option, Please! (1)

Kevoco (64263) | about 6 months ago | (#46238489)

Because my arm will get tired.

Re:Helmet Mounted Option, Please! (0)

After watching the video, I think there might be a better place to mount it.

Belt Buckle Mounting Option, Please! (4, Funny)

Kevoco (64263) | about 6 months ago | (#46238501)

Because my, um....

Re:Belt Buckle Mounting Option, Please! (1)

mjwx (966435) | about 6 months ago | (#46242909)

Because my, um....

It matches the spinning rims we're putting on the new cop cars (well Aussie cops are getting WRX's these day, rexy's need spinners).

Are you Koalafied to use that mate? (0)

This should shed some new light on modern criminals.
It brings a whole new dimension to crime fighting.

Cave mapping (4, Interesting)

aardvarkjoe (156801) | about 6 months ago | (#46238581)

My first thought was that this would be a really cool method of mapping caves. It turns out that this system has already been put to that use (http://www.lidarnews.com/content/view/9581/2/ [lidarnews.com] ).

I wonder how long it will be before this kind of thing is accessible to individuals.

Re:Cave mapping (2)

James Garry (2855765) | about 6 months ago | (#46238901)

The laser scanner looks like a Hokuyo UTM LX30 (or perhaps the USB version) and they retail for around 6k USD. The devs have to be congratulated for weaving in a reference to a 1970s UK TV show. I wonder what a sensor named Ermintrude or Dylan would have looked like.

this thing need a fairing (2)

bobbagum (556152) | about 6 months ago | (#46238609)

in order to sell to organizations, the thing need to look more professional instead of cobbled together from random parts first, this thing need a rubberized fairing that can flex with the spring, and painted to suit intended users, yellow brown is good, black is better and then add options for helmet mount, you can put this on hardhats in construction site or police's helmet, or if the hardware can be rotated, the spring can probably be mounted on a belt

Re:this thing need a fairing (2)

Michael Bosse (3536919) | about 6 months ago | (#46242035)

We tried a rubberized fairing once, but it drastically damped the spring's motion and made it take a lot more effort to keep the sensor moving.

Re:this thing need a fairing (1)

Jamie Ian Macgregor (3389757) | about 6 months ago | (#46242955)

whoosh! I think he wants it to look like a rubber penis.

Re:this thing need a fairing (1)

dbIII (701233) | about 6 months ago | (#46242745)

in order to sell to organizations

You mean like the ones that have purchased them? You'll find something that refutes your "point" in the article.

Re:this thing need a fairing (1)

bobbagum (556152) | about 6 months ago | (#46248779)

I'm trying to make a joke, putting wrinkly rubber on it would make it look like a dick

Re:this thing need a fairing (1)

bobbagum (556152) | about 6 months ago | (#46248793)

or a dildo, imagine this, at a crime scene, the police pulls out this rubber dick thing and starts whacking the air

Technical stuff looks weird sometimes (1)

dbIII (701233) | about 6 months ago | (#46251917)

Imagine this, I was inside a power station boiler under repair, sharing the space with a dozen welders and scaffolders. I pulled out a hair dryer and turned it on. The laughter stopped after a minute or two.
Technical stuff looks weird sometimes.
I was there to see how much heat damage had occurred over time to a weld in a hot and stressed area. You can do that by grinding back the surface, polishing, acid etching for contrast, then looking at it under a microscope. Powerful microscopes belong on benches instead of tied onto the underside of pipework in confined spaces. Dissolving the right sort of plastic on to a polished surface can give you a very high resolution replica instead of having to lug a microscope around. If the pipework is cold it takes a long time to harden which is why the hairdryer came out.

Re:this thing need a fairing (1)

dbIII (701233) | about 6 months ago | (#46251911)

Sorry - I missed all the sex toy references before I replied.

What has GPS got to do with it? (1)

wonkey_monkey (2592601) | about 6 months ago | (#46238635)

How much use would GPS be when you're mapping a crime scene? Wouldn't you be better off with a camera and a tape measure?

Re:What has GPS got to do with it? (2)

coolsnowmen (695297) | about 6 months ago | (#46238781)

Differential GPS has an accuracy about 10cm. Simply taking the location info on any thing of note might have been good enough for mapping basic crime scenes. Clearly, this is better, but also, more expensive.

Re:What has GPS got to do with it? (0)

OK grandpa.

Prometheus (1)

ed1park (100777) | about 6 months ago | (#46238685)

This is just like the orbs that mapped out the alien space ship in the the movie Prometheus. Just attach one of those suckers on some drones and go looking for some Sasquatch and stuff! Can't wait for the higher resolution versions that can spit out data in realtime.

Re:Prometheus (2)

Ksevio (865461) | about 6 months ago | (#46240349)

Now if we can just invent floating orb technology, and stick some visible red lasers on the outside, we'll be in business for mapping alien spaceships!

Warning! Conspiracy theory incoming (-1)

No doubt patented and with restricted use expensive licensing on the software. So of course the poor will not be able to afford to fight its related errors/manufactured evidence?

Want to put some "read scenery" and/or "real people" in your CGI? Perhaps including "real events"? Have your lawyers and accountants give them a call?

How much prior art?

Captcha: record

It was fun, but goodbye Slashdot (fuck beta) (0)

I've been an AC lurker on slashdot for at least a dozen years. I never found reason to register an account, but would visit several times a day to check out the feed and comments. I've rarely posted, finding AC was plenty enough for me. Although I've found the site less relevant as years went on (slashdot is now basically a day late feed of news.bbc.co.uk with the ability for nerds to comment), muscle memory would lead me to quickly type "sl", let autofill put the rest of the URL in, and then hit return.

Today, I got redirected to beta. Shit. It doesn't even render correctly on IE 8. How the fuck can someone release a website that stretches pictures and jumbles text on top of images? Yes, the format sucks, but the coding appears to be shear incompetence.

I can't figure out how to get the classic view back. So, that will be it for me. I'll be looking for a new home to get "news for nerds".

Goodbye, Slashdot.

nerd? (0)

What self-respecting nerd uses IE 8??

Psycho-Pass (1)

ThunderBird89 (1293256) | about 6 months ago | (#46238951)

So, how far are we from developing modules that can determine the crime coefficients of people, then guns that only shoot projected criminals?

Awesome... (1)

Schlopper (413780) | about 6 months ago | (#46238965)

The device looks great. Can't wait until they release a version for heterosexual males...

Kind of like walking around with (0)

A giant dildo. Yes, I would know.

Re:Kind of like walking around with (1)

CCarrot (1562079) | about 6 months ago | (#46239265)

A giant dildo. Yes, I would know.

Quit bragging.

Re:Kind of like walking around with (0)

Looks like medium sized to me.

gigapanoramas (2)

Fencepost (107992) | about 6 months ago | (#46239239)

I'd also expect within the next year or two (or less, considering how cheap they are) that police will be documenting crime scenes with "gigapixel" panoramas. Gigapan sells a robotic mount for DSLRs for under $1000, and I'm sure they're not the only ones.

Re:gigapanoramas (1)

EvilSS (557649) | about 6 months ago | (#46239511)

I'm surprised this isn't already SOP for most crime scene units. The cost is low and it's not all that complicated to do. Hell realtors have been doing it (although at a lower resolution) for quite a while now to create virtual tours of homes.

Mount it on the hat (2)

abies (607076) | about 6 months ago | (#46239449)

and proudly introduce yourself as Inspector Gadget.

Blah blah prior art (0)

If my previous employer, who likely has forgotten me, cared to look in my official work notebook from 2002 that I left in their archives when I left the company in 2006, they would find such a system of lidar-based crime scene capture device and mapping software invention described.
I did not write in enough detail to actually build one, but it would be enough to stop these guys or extort licensing money from them.

Sigh.

LIDAR precision (1)

jcdenhartog (840940) | about 6 months ago | (#46239917)

I don't know what the precision is on this, but I've seen LIDAR that was used in the civil engineering arena that was precise enough to pick up skid marks on the road. Pretty cool stuff.

Their logo (1)

DaveAtWorkAnnoyingly (655625) | about 6 months ago | (#46240667)

Am I the only one who thinks Csiro's logo is extremely similar to Cisco's?!

Re:Their logo (1)

mjwx (966435) | about 6 months ago | (#46242381)

Am I the only one who thinks Csiro's logo is extremely similar to Cisco's?!

Apart from the logo clearly being a map of Australia?

I'd love to see Cisco try to sue them. That didn't work out too well for Apple when they tried to sue Woolworths in Australia.

Re: Their logo (1)

DaveAtWorkAnnoyingly (655625) | about 6 months ago | (#46243643)

Oh ya, I get the Australia pattern. I'm sure the Cisco logo "inspired" them.

Re: Their logo (2)

mjwx (966435) | about 6 months ago | (#46243757)

Oh ya, I get the Australia pattern. I'm sure the Cisco logo "inspired" them.

Under Oz law, the logo is unique enough. We apply a very simple test, if a 7 year old can tell them apart, they aren't the same.

CSIRO was founded in 1928 compared to Cisco's 1984. I'm not sure when the current logo was created (same with Cisco's current logo).

Here are a few of CSIRO's older logo's, it could easily be argued that it's just an evolution of their older logo's:
Logo 1 [csiro.au]
Logo 2 [lc.com.au]

Besides this, companies usually sue over trade dress, logo's, et al. when there is a risk of brand dilution or harm to the brand (except if you're Apple, then you sue because you're bonkers). With the quality of Cisco's latest kit, being accidentally confused for CSIRO would do more good than harm.

Submission Text Formatting Tips

We support a small subset of HTML, namely these tags:

• b
  • em
  • strong
  • tt
  • blockquote
  • div
  • ecode

"ecode" can be used for code snippets, for example:

<ecode>    while(1) { do_something(); } </ecode>