AT&T, Audi Announce In-Car 4G LTE Plans, Starting At $99 For 6 Months

timothy posted about 7 months ago | from the speaking-of-data-monsters dept.

Communications 74

Lucas123 writes "Audi is set to became the first car company to offer native, in-vehicle broadband in its 2015 A3 models through AT&T and it has just listed pricing for the service. Audi and AT&T will offer two data plan options: a 5GB, 6-month plan for $99 and a 30GB, 30-month plan for $499. Audi and GM first announced the upcoming availability of in-car 4G LTE during the CES show this year. GM plans to roll out 4G LTE in vehicles later this year and will eventually have more than 30 models supporting it. Audi said it plans to expand 4G LTE capability across its entire lineup as new or refreshed models come to market."

Overpriced. (0)

'Nuff said.

Re:Overpriced. (4, Funny)

ackthpt (218170) | about 7 months ago | (#46458481)

'Nuff said.

Highway robbery!

I'll get me coat.

Re:Overpriced. (3, Interesting)

davester666 (731373) | about 7 months ago | (#46460267)

This is the LAST thing I would want in my car. For it to automatically send GM whatever information GM thinks they would like, as often as it wants, on my dime, and then GM can sell/rent/lease/make available to whomever shows up at their door with a warrant or a dollar.

And my phone already has a data plan, which is with me in the car when I drive around. At best, I might let it do a software upgrade via my phone.

This is really just about GM [and the other manufacturers] to get ongoing revenue out of me, while doing absolutely nothing for it.

Kind of like "tethering plans" from your cell phone provider.

Re:Overpriced. (1)

l0n3s0m3phr34k (2613107) | about 7 months ago | (#46461833)

my luck I would try a "software update via my phone" which would loose signal or connection and my car would be rendered undrivable.

Re:Overpriced. (1)

kzharv (175360) | about 7 months ago | (#46462771)

Teathering plans, up to 7Gig / month (after that slows down to 1Mb/s), are included with my phone plan.... and I can teather it to my car navigation system via bluetooth for music, map updates, news and other things as of 3 years ago. I thought this would be standard everywhere by now.

Re:Overpriced. (0)

What you mean by that? Isn't it just right, that it car's network costs are higher than its service bills? Doesn't anybody think about the poor AT&T and Audi?

Prices still far too high (1)

ackthpt (218170) | about 7 months ago | (#46458475)

No chance I'd go for this, not in a pig's eye. When will they talk about rolling out reasonably priced plans?

Re:Prices still far too high (2)

Lumpy (12016) | about 7 months ago | (#46462787)

Never. AT&T is known for raping it's users.

What I did was I bought a china double din Android 4.0 car stereo, then put a Kindle Sim in it's sim slot. 100% free internet in my car as long as I am not a moron and try to stream videos or music. but it makes Waze work perfectly as well as pulling current weather and other info.

I already have a system that is 80X better than anything that Audi will ever sell in their cars, because it's 100% open android.

Vastly overpriced. (1)

daninaustin (985354) | about 7 months ago | (#46458537)

Who would pay for a 30 month contract at that price. This is going nowhere.

Re:Vastly overpriced. (0)

People who want to never think about a car broadband provider contract again.

Double, triple, quadruple charging (5, Informative)

Solandri (704621) | about 7 months ago | (#46458557)

I have a phone. It has a 4G LTE plan. It is always with me.

I have a tablet. I cannot use it simultaneously with my phone (in the sense that I'm actively doing something that consumes data with one device).

I have a laptop. I cannot use it simultaneously with my tablet and phone.

I have a car. I cannot use it simultaneously with my laptop, tablet, and phone.

Clearly the proper metric that used here is to charge for LTE data use per individual (or even per GB). Not per device. The "correct" solution here is to get your cellular data plan with your phone, and have your phone operate as a hotspot to share that data with your tablet, laptop, and car. Attempts to charge for service on a per-device basis is just double-, triple-, or quadruple-dipping by the carriers. If service is being metered per GB, this shouldn't even be an issue. Pay a nominal fee for an LTE SIM card, link it to your phone account, and add the data it uses to your monthly usage. There is absolutely no need for the device to have its own separate plan.

Re:Double, triple, quadruple charging (1)

organgtool (966989) | about 7 months ago | (#46458703)

No, the proper metric is to charge whatever ridiculous rates for whatever ridiculous service dipshits are willing to pay to achieve maximum profitability. That's Economics 101.

Unusual Limitation (1, Funny)

SuperKendall (25149) | about 7 months ago | (#46458739)

I have a car. I cannot use it simultaneously with my laptop, tablet, and phone.

Ask me how I know you don't drive in the U.S. :-)

Re:Double, triple, quadruple charging (0)

Mobile operators (e.g., AT&T) have a cost associated per device, as each device uses more spectrum and each device needs have a license in the mobile packet core part of the network, so I wouldn't say "clearly the proper metric..."

Re:Double, triple, quadruple charging (1)

glasshole (3569269) | about 7 months ago | (#46459089)

Yes, but most devices aren't sending data simultaneously. They aren't monopolizing the spectrum while idling. Some providers have gone to data pools + fee/device here in Canada, though pricing is still unreasonable.

Re:Double, triple, quadruple charging (1)

peon_a-z,A-Z,0-9$_+! (2743031) | about 7 months ago | (#46463193)

The parent author suggested that the only device using the spectrum was the phone. All other devices "piggyback" on this connection. Therefore, the carrier (e.g. AT&T) only "sees" one device, and therefore one cost per device. So it is "clearly the proper metric"...

Clearly you do not own towers (1)

Overzeetop (214511) | about 7 months ago | (#46459135)

"Clearly the proper metric that used here is to charge for LTE data use per individual"

AYFKM? Why would anyone, ever, charge you for one pool of data to purchase when they can charge you multiple times? Look, you could pay $50/mo for 2GB, and $10/GB after that, but where's the profit in it? You clearly have the money to purchase a phone, a tablet, a laptop, and a car - what's an extra $20-40/mo per device after you've spent 10-100-1000X that getting the hardware. It seems only "fair" that your internet provider should see a cut on the first byte on each device. Think of the expense and computing power required to keep those devices active on the 'net - $20 per device all of a sudden seems kind of low, doesn't it?

First you take away first device fees, then you want free texting (as if it's just surplus bandwith that is just being thrown away) - who's going to make sure AT&T execs can afford food and clothes for their kids, a new fur for the wife, or a second yacht? You take away per-device pricing and you may as well just sign every telecom executive up for welfare and food stamps. It's like you don't even care.

Re:Double, triple, quadruple charging (1)

Delarth799 (1839672) | about 7 months ago | (#46459215)

I guess a smart person would find a way to just tether the car to your existing internet connected device and go from there. The rest will overpay for a useless plan so their car can get 4G on top of everything else. The operators don't want you to figure out how to do that or be able to do that since it cuts out the money for them.

Does tethering count if it's free? (1)

rsborg (111459) | about 7 months ago | (#46459619)

You get free tethering with tmobile's simple choice plan. For a family plan you can get tethering of 1G (recently upgraded from 500MB) data for free for each line, for $22/line (sans fees/taxes). I'm doing exactly that - it's quite good.

Re:Double, triple, quadruple charging (2)

don.g (6394) | about 7 months ago | (#46459939)

The carrier "2 degrees mobile" in New Zealand does this. They call it "shared data".

http://www.2degreesmobile.co.n... [2degreesmobile.co.nz]

It's only available on a pay-per-month plan (which you can get without a term contract). So I can have a phone on a plan, and share with other SIMs/devices that are on prepay, which is $0/month if you don't make calls, or send SMSes.

The family plan for the whole family (1)

tepples (727027) | about 7 months ago | (#46460199)

The tablet's operating system can download updated versions of applications while you are using your phone. Or another member of your family can be using your tablet while you are using your phone.

I have a car. I cannot use it simultaneously with my laptop, tablet, and phone.

You are using a map application on the car's infotainment system, which scrolls after passing through each intersection. Your wife is on the phone with someone at the destination. Your son is in the back seat doing something with the laptop. Your daughter is in the other back seat doing something with the tablet.

Re:The family plan for the whole family (1)

cbeaudry (706335) | about 7 months ago | (#46460369)

They are still using individual bits... from one device, if they are connected by WIFI to one hotspot.

So whats the problem?

Re:Double, triple, quadruple charging (0)

Oh, you think that's bad? Where I live, people (people you might know) are offered 'plans' by the phone company that let you ...also 'watch' on your phone over the air TV....for a price. So lets recap how this works: The 700 MHz TV band was given up to the phone companies. This band was used to broadcast TV "Over the Air" (ewww, yuk, over the air tv), for free (ewww, yuk, free), and now the phone companies have that band, and they offer TV shows via LTE to your phone ....for dollars per bit! See how that's better! Corded phone bad, cordless TV bad. Cordless phone good, corded TV good. The big difference is how much you pay. You will also notice that those same telephones that can get the wireless streaming TV signals for a price, have no ability to get the wireless streaming TV signal (because its free, yuk!).

Re:Double, triple, quadruple charging (1)

Moskit (32486) | about 7 months ago | (#46461571)

> Clearly the proper metric that used here is to charge for LTE
> data use per individual

Change service provider, or probably country ;-)

Some operators have not just "per device" but even "per family" plans. You purchase mobile subscription where the fee for data transfer can be shared between multiple devices belonging to multiple persons within family. You just pay small fee (~3$) for extra SIM cards. Limit is 4 cards.

There are also various promotions, for example during the first 6 months LTE data is free (but capped to 100GB before throttling to 2Mbit/s).

Oh, and there is no minimum lenght of subscription, so you are not tied for 12/24/36 months.

Of course majority of operators will make every attempt to milk you, and make you pay for every "service" they perceive.

No thanks (1)

Bender Unit 22 (216955) | about 7 months ago | (#46458633)

I am not up to date on US broadband prices but wouldn't it be much cheaper to get a MiFi access point instead? But I guess if I had the money for a new Audi, I wouldn't care about 99$ a month for a overpriced broadband service. If it is all paid up for the price of the car hides the cost of the broadband.

Re:No thanks (2)

vux984 (928602) | about 7 months ago | (#46458761)

Cheaper? Maybe, but probably not. (see below)

More versatile? Definitely. It wouldn't be stuck to your car so you could use elsewhere.

Less convenient to use, probably. You'd have to figure out how to pair your car to it, remember to bring it with you, and the car antenna installation is probably better than anything that fits in your pocket inside the car, so reception of the mifi won't likely be as good.

99$ for six months. so $16.50 per month. That's not Audi money, that's Honda Civic money. :p

Re:No thanks (0)

unless it's $99 for 5 gb over 5 months, then your backup to dbag...oops I mean Audi money.

Re:No thanks (1)

Bender Unit 22 (216955) | about 7 months ago | (#46461807)

Ah, I see I misread the price. That will teach me not to post when I am tired. :D

That is cheap in the U.S. (1)

SuperKendall (25149) | about 7 months ago | (#46458769)

For that much data over that period of time, it's cheaper than a MiFi (For Verizon the cheapest plan is $30/month - for which you get 4GB/month, but then you are paying $180/six months).

If you need a lot more data then it wouldn't be such a deal, but a car is going to use a subset of data - maps and music mostly, which should fit into the 1GB/month structure they are going for here.

I was actually thinking to post, why can't I get a plan like that for a tablet...

Re:No thanks (0)

Exactly. You're buying an Audi, not a Ford or Chevy.
You're spending money not for the necessity of "MMI® touch with handwriting-recognition technology" and WiFi, but because you cant figure out or have exhausted other means to spend your money.

Re:No thanks (1)

fermion (181285) | about 7 months ago | (#46459473)

I have an mobile access point that I have used in the car. It costs more than $15 a month. For example Virgin has instituted data limits and is about $20 a month. $100 for six months is a good deal, especially for the crowd who thinks their SUV is their living room and the plan lets them stream netflix. In any case, this is hardly the first plan for a car. Mercedes has already expanded mbrace to include internet. It is $500 a year, but that includes lots of extras. Still very much more expensive, but it is much more integrated for the current model year.

Re:No thanks (0)

US broadband prices are shit. Want to move 1TB of data on a cable line, expect to pay $250 for it. Want to move 1TB on a LTE link? It is far cheaper to buy a dedicated server with a LTO 6 drive, Microsoft DPM as a backup program, and a RAID array, and an identical twin of this server at the remote location, than it is to try to do that.

The only thing that has gone up in the US, broadband-wise, are fees, with the -SOLE- exception of Google Fiber.

It's $16.50/month (1)

sjbe (173966) | about 7 months ago | (#46463723)

It's $99 for 6 months which translates to $16.50/month.

roaming / fringe roaming = $15-$20 a meg (1)

Joe_Dragon (2206452) | about 7 months ago | (#46458641)

so the small trip to Canada can cost more then the price of a new car very fast.

NOT the first to offer broadband... (1)

David_Hart (1184661) | about 7 months ago | (#46458643)

....but it's the first to offer 4G LTE.

My 2014 Jeep has Uconnect Access which uses Sprint, I believe. It's also too expensive....

In-car phones (1)

sinij (911942) | about 7 months ago | (#46458663)

Remember 2G? Many cars that predate it are still on the road.

In a couple of years this will be as desirable as mid-90s in-car phones. Meanwhile you will pay higher sticker price.

Re:In-car phones (1)

mjwx (966435) | about 7 months ago | (#46460163)

Remember 2G? Many cars that predate it are still on the road.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

In a few years, you'll get a new loan for a new Audi. By then we'll be up to elevnety thousand G.

Signed,
VAG's planned obsolescence department.

And what will the overage fees be? (1)

rmdingler (1955220) | about 7 months ago | (#46458671)

Depending on what you're streaming (movies and games for the kids in the backseat of the Escalade?) , it would be plausible to use the data limit up fairly quickly.

Unlikely as it may seem, there may be some outfits out there willing to gouge a bit for exceeding plan limitations.

I already have 4G LTE (0)

Therefore my additional cost = $0

Not the First (1)

This cannot be considered the first vehicle with native in-vehicle broadband. In fact, the Tesla Model S has offered this since 2012, or 2013. Furthermore, there is (currently) no charge for this service.

Re:Not the First (1)

WindBourne (631190) | about 7 months ago | (#46462499)

exactly right. And their broadband is simply part of their maintenance agreement.

Great for Uber drives (0)

I'd definitely rank that 5 stars.

Just in time to be obsolete (2)

erice (13380) | about 7 months ago | (#46458921)

It is LTE. LTE-Advanced (the real "4G") is supposed to start rolling out this year.

The average vehicle life is 11.4 years. That means this car will have an obsolete wireless connection for nearly 11 years. At the rate that new standards come out and frequencies shuffle, you may not be able to get service at all in the last couple of years.

Just because LTE-A is about to launch does not mak (0)

The iPhone 5S came out - the iPhone 5 was not instantly "obsolete". "deprecated" maybe, but not obsolete.

At least LTE is a subset of LTE-A, so compatibility for LTE should remain as long as LTE-A is in use. Not like integrated analog car phones which became truly USELESS a couple years ago.

Re:Just in time to be obsolete (0)

Don't worry, the owners of the vehicle will realize that they're just not getting their money's worth out of it before the end of the first year and cancel the subscription.

Or they won't even care, and just keep paying a monthly bill for something that no longer works...

Re:Just in time to be obsolete (1)

Spencer Drager (1537739) | about 7 months ago | (#46464909)

Just because it will eventually become obsolete doesn't mean there isn't a benefit in offering it and using it for some time. Over the years, cars have come with many different ways of getting music. How many of them are obsolete now? This would be a great way of getting a larger variety of music to your car (in addition to the many other uses). Pandora, Songza, the 100 other music services. Potentially access to your own media server to play music.
  • 8-Track
  • AM Radio
  • Tape Deck
  • FM Radio
  • CD Player
  • MP3 CD Player
  • XM/Sirius Radio
  • USB (for iPods usually)
  • Bluetooth

Radio/Music (1)

phorm (591458) | about 7 months ago | (#46459035)

Could be useful for listening to internet radio or updating music libraries.
At a 128kb/s stream (I think thing streams are kilobit rather than kilobyte), that's
5,000,000,000 bytes.
40000000000 bits
/ 128kb/s

86 hours (312500 seconds). If that's 5GB/month, it's not too bad for radio... if that's 5GB/6mo it's a bit crappy.
For syncing/downloading music, of course, it depends on the size of your library.

Re:Radio/Music (1)

Could be useful for listening to internet radio or updating music libraries. At a 128kb/s stream (I think thing streams are kilobit rather than kilobyte),

(Yes, music streams are traditionally measured in kilobits per second, but that's not the point.)

SDHC card slot: $0.99
32GB SDHC card: $8.99
Subscription charges: $0.00/year
Dependencies on third-party music streaming services: None.
Number of bits of network bandwidth consumed: 0 kbit/year
Signal strength in underground tunnel is the same as it is in East Mumblefuck, Texas: 100%

Why ? (1)

Alain Williams (2972) | about 7 months ago | (#46459067)

I just can't see why you would need this ? If the car needs an Internet connection to, say, update street maps then just give it your home WiFi password.

The driver should not have much need since he is supposed to have his eyes on the road, I suppose streaming music might be nice - but the radio/cd-player does me fine. Passengers: if they want the net then they just fire up their 'phone/tablet/...

So why ? Or am I incredibly unimaginative ?

Re:Why ? (1)

BLToday (1777712) | about 7 months ago | (#46459095)

Traffic data. There's been times where I would totally pay $5 for 30 minutes worth of good data rate to figure out the traffic. Unfortunately, the reason for that was because ATT network is terrible. I would get full-bars but no data would come through. So this partnership does nothing really because the ATT network can't handle the data they have right now.

Re:Why ? (1)

DigiShaman (671371) | about 7 months ago | (#46460661)

Radio (Pandora or Iheartradio) and navigation. That right there will kill satellite radio. Now that iOS 7.1 features CarPlay, more so. While nothing has been said yet, I'm holding out for an aftermarket head unit that will support CarPlay.

Finally, I can PAY for my surveillance (1)

uCallHimDrJ0NES (2546640) | about 7 months ago | (#46459075)

I was wondering how we were going to pay for making sure that we are no longer free to move about the country. Now I know!

Re:Finally, I can PAY for my surveillance (0)

I am not clear, do I pay for this service, or does the NSA?

So, Audi's are now throw away devices (1)

Attila Dimedici (1036002) | about 7 months ago | (#46459103)

Basically what Audi is doing by instituting this plan is announcing to the world that they are building their cars to be obsolete in two years. If Audi was building quality cars they would have announced that they have entered a partnership with AT&T to put an adapter in their car that will be compatible with cellphones on the AT&T network for the next 10 years (or more). As it is, they have indicated that they are building fancy pieces of junk that you won't want two years from now.

Re:So, Audi's are now throw away devices (0)

I replace mine every two years. Don't you?

Re:So, Audi's are now throw away devices (0)

6 months , on average

Paying more for bulk? (1)

Overzeetop (214511) | about 7 months ago | (#46459173)

So I can go "semi-annually" for $16.50/mo, or I can "lock in" a rate of $16.63/mo for 2.5 years. On a service which has been falling in price (i.e. - metered mobile data).

Unless you happen to live in that magical land where you use between 5.2 and 6GB in 6 months, you may as well get the 6 month plan and take your chance on a better plan in the future. Like adding your car to your existing mobile plan for $10 and using your existing data pool.

Boycott this shit... (1)

Bartles (1198017) | about 7 months ago | (#46459435)

... you rich tech geeks need to resist this crap. Do not buy these services. I want to see them die before they ever get off the ground. If I ever have to pay a subscription fee to use a car, I swear to god I will drive a 2002 Honda Accord for the rest of my life, and I will love it.

Re:Boycott this shit... (1)

pspahn (1175617) | about 7 months ago | (#46460107)

Try as I might, I am still looking for a brand-new 1988 Toyota pickup. I've bought two pairs of the same shoes at the same time before fearing they would cease to exist. I've been hoping some guy did the same thing with a few hundred trucks.

Re:Boycott this shit... (1)

AvitarX (172628) | about 7 months ago | (#46462799)

It's not the tech geeks that will do this, we'll be happy to have a phone charger and a headphone jack. Or a tablet mounted to the dash, that shares phone data, something that will have a better interface (if sync is any indication, the rental I had with that was like they tried to make the interface suck, 3 layers deep of menu, 2 different areas with the same caption, just to get my bluetooth music to play, oh, and every start, it reset to voice only from bluetooth).

This will be sold so rich non-geeks can have Pandora (or the clearchannel one most likely) radio without effort at all.

Android Head Units (1)

mythosaz (572040) | about 7 months ago | (#46459653)

[insert android head unit joke here]

When China started pumping out Android 4.0 (and higher) devices in car stereo form-factors with "standard" cabling and 25-50 watts per channel on the audio output, I started to ponder what sort of service my car needed. These devices all had WiFi, and a few could take an add-on USB cellular device, but nothing that worked for me.

I wanted maps, streaming XM, maybe some Pandora, and the occasional Google Now based search.

It was vastly easier to order a Hotspot device with a no-time per-gig contract from something like FreedomPop -- I just had to wait for good service in my 'hood.

Go ahead and encourage more distraction (1)

jmd (14060) | about 7 months ago | (#46459823)

Already (0)

Already drivers are out of control, not paying attention because of phones or other distractions. We're waving the whole net at them. What could possibly go wrong?

Soon to be mandatory to use data features? (2)

swb (14022) | about 7 months ago | (#46460399)

How long until it is mandatory to have a data plan for your car to use any of the infotainment features, ie, their is a built-in incompatibility or missing feature to pair your car with whatever mobile data device you already own (phone tethering, MiFi-type device, existing municipal wifi, etc)?

Car maker makes data usage exclusive to one carrier, earns spiff for every subscription, carrier just ups data plan cost to cover spiff.

Total ripoff.

Re:Soon to be mandatory to use data features? (0)

Well it's a good thing there are no government regulations about linking data plans and automobile functions, so we know the invisible hand will prevent this from happening.

Re:Soon to be mandatory to use data features? (1)

helix2301 (1105613) | about 7 months ago | (#46462781)

It's going to be like SiriusXM GMC has XM where Dodge has Sirius. One will have AT&T one will have verizon exc.

Re:Soon to be mandatory to use data features? (1)

schlachter (862210) | about 7 months ago | (#46464643)

it won't be for infotainment purposes, it will be for safety and traffic flow management.

Re:Soon to be mandatory to use data features? (0)

Sooner or later someone will make a radio which lets you plop in your own SIM card. Unless manufacturers disallow third-party radios/entertainment systems completely (seems unlikely), you will always have options.

great idea (1)

slashmydots (2189826) | about 7 months ago | (#46460749)

This is genius! When their owners crash their cars from fiddling with data-related bullshit while driving, they'll buy another one. The best planned obsolescence I've ever heard.

Re:great idea (1)

WindBourne (631190) | about 7 months ago | (#46462481)

And yet, Tesla has all that for the last couple of years, and does not have that issue.

Gee (0)

I can have a data plan for my smartphone, a data plan for my tablet, a hotspot plan for my laptop, and now a data plan for my car. Grand total ~$180 per month. What crack is AT&T smoking?

Response to Tesla (1)

WindBourne (631190) | about 7 months ago | (#46462473)

No doubt this is in response to Tesla., who has had cell communications in all of their cars for the last couple of years.

What happens when you drive across a border? (1)

sjbe (173966) | about 7 months ago | (#46464953)

I'm curious what happens when you drive into another country. For instance I drive from the US to Canada about once a year. Would I receive some obscene roaming data charges just for driving into another country? I have to turn off my cell phone data in Canada to avoid sticker shock on my next bill. Don't really want to have to do that for my car too.