The Internet of Things Comes To Your Garden

samzenpus posted about 5 months ago | from the how-wet's-the-soil-papa dept.

Technology 66

Iddo Genuth writes Connected devices are becoming ubiquitous — a number of new companies are now offering WIFI and BT enabled devices that can let you control almost all aspects of your garden from your smartphone or tablet, save you money on water and allow you to monitor your plant's health from a distance. In the past few months we have seen an explosion of new companies and products belonging to the 'Internet Of Things' (IOT) and this trend isn't skipping the garden. For years irrigation controllers were amongst the most hated, unintuitive devices around, but a new generation of small start-up companies such as Rachio, GreenIQ and GreenBox are looking to change that. They want to create completely new ways to interact with our garden which will be more wireless and more connected (with lots of smart sensors that will tell us what is going on with our plants before it's too late).

I thought i disabled ads (1)

yet this

Re:I thought i disabled ads (1)

ttucker (2884057) | about 5 months ago | (#47352495)

Two of the ads are for the same thing with different branding. Whats worse, the products aren't even shipping yet! They stink of some kind of preorder-never-get-your-thing deals.

Great! We will trade hated devices (1)

fredrated (639554) | about 5 months ago | (#47352397)

for hated software!

Re:Great! We will trade hated devices (1)

cusco (717999) | about 5 months ago | (#47352629)

The highest technology in my garden is the pump that drives the waterfall for the fish pond, and I fully intend to keep it that way. I work with technology all day, I go home and play in the dirt to get away from it. Want to test the soil humidity in your garden? Grab a handful of dirt in several different places. What else would an electronic monitor be able to measure? They can't tell if the maple tree is shading the rhododendron too much or if the daisies are infringing on the roses, and there aren't even many children that can tell the difference between a weed an a flower.

Re:Great! We will trade hated devices (1)

fuzzyfuzzyfungus (1223518) | about 5 months ago | (#47352819)

If you actually like gardening it would be largely pointless (and if you don't, why exactly would you pretend with a bunch of expensive gadgets?); but calculating, at a quite granular level, the length and intensity of exposure to sunlight in various areas across the course of a day should actually be relatively tractable by machine vision standards...

Re:Great! We will trade hated devices (1)

cusco (717999) | about 5 months ago | (#47355339)

We have 7 rhodies, 4 like partial shade, 3 like full sun. We have climbing roses, which don't give a shit if the daisies completely surround them, oriental roses, which don't like anything growing within a half mile, and wild roses, which will crowd out the daisies all on their own. Then there is all the stuff under the Japanese maple that the cameras couldn't even see, the huge portion of the yard that is blocked from view by the enormous wisteria, and the fig tree and butterfly bushes that shade completely in the summer, and not at all in the winter.

Re:Great! We will trade hated devices (1)

K. S. Kyosuke (729550) | about 5 months ago | (#47353003)

Why not? What about timelapse cameras?

Re:Great! We will trade hated devices (2)

Xiph1980 (944189) | about 5 months ago | (#47354269)

I'm pretty sure most kids know the difference between a weed and a flower... Flowers don't come in little baggies or paper bags...

Useless (0)

Watering a garden is not hard, even if you do it yourself. Or you can set up a timer.

WEEDING a garden is hard. Got a robot for that? Didn't think so.

Re:Useless (1)

iggymanz (596061) | about 5 months ago | (#47352507)

I do; my wife

actually, she loves gardening

Re:Useless (1)

CanHasDIY (1672858) | about 5 months ago | (#47352833)

I do; my wife

Who doesn't?

Rimshot!

Re:Useless (1)

K. S. Kyosuke (729550) | about 5 months ago | (#47353049)

I, for one, don't do his wife (I hope).

Re:Useless (2)

iggymanz (596061) | about 5 months ago | (#47353369)

reminds me of incident The Algonquin Round Table, a bunch of writers, critics, actors, comedians, etc. that met at lunch daily at Algonquin Hotel in NYC from 1919 to 1929:

(friend feeling top of playwright Marc Connelly's bald head) ""Marc, your head feels as smooth as my wife's ass."

Marc Connelly (feeling top of his own head): "why so it does, so it does"

Weeding robot : yes (1)

oneiros27 (46144) | about 5 months ago | (#47353007)

http://modernfarmer.com/2013/0... [modernfarmer.com]

Unfortunately, they're only focusing on lettuce for right now.

Personally, I just use a hydroponics system, so I don't have to worry about significant weed problems. (algae and insect problems, yes, but not weeds).

Re:Useless (2)

K. S. Kyosuke (729550) | about 5 months ago | (#47353045)

WEEDING a garden is hard. Got a robot for that? Didn't think so.

That's actually one of the interesting things I'd expect robotics to solve in the decades to come. There's quite a few things a robot should be able to do to weed - electrocution and precise microwave heating (mm waves?) come to one's mind.

Re:Useless (1)

RabidReindeer (2625839) | about 5 months ago | (#47354923)

WEEDING a garden is hard. Got a robot for that? Didn't think so.

It's amazing what you can do with a little corkscrew device.

Re:Useless (1)

K. S. Kyosuke (729550) | about 5 months ago | (#47355127)

Perfectly fine in theory but probably sufficiently mechanically complicated so as to be impractical for low-cost robotics.

Re:Useless (1)

RabidReindeer (2625839) | about 5 months ago | (#47358503)

Probably less complicated than chemicals or lasers. All the corkscrew has to do is rotate, Garden Weasel [TM] style. The positioning hardware is probablty going to be virtually identical.

Re:Useless (1)

K. S. Kyosuke (729550) | about 5 months ago | (#47358585)

You seriously think the mechanical motivators capable of exerting a sufficient force (what, two dozen pounds? You have to design it for the worst case...) over a potentially long arm and a mechanical design of the mobile robot able to withstand a corresponding moment of force without tipping over are going to make it cheaper than a simple inclusion of a solid-state, high voltage source and a small grip capable of a low resistance contact with the plant stem? For example, since when have powerful servos (and you need a few of them) been cheaper than PC PSUs (and you don't need nowhere nearly that much power)?

Re:Useless (1)

RabidReindeer (2625839) | about 5 months ago | (#47359643)

Man, you got some tough weeds where you live! Either that or your soil is like rock!

I was thinking more like if I had robotic garden assistants, they'd be out there every morning rooting out weeds while they were still puny seedlings.

The "dirt" around here is about 1 step up from beach sand. A cheap Radio Shack motor would have enough torque to spin that. A bigger fixed motor driving a flex cable would actually carry the advantage that you could use it to make the carriage more tip-proof. That way you could also use the same basic lightweight arm mechanism without the elaborate stem-grabbing attachment that you're positing.

You don't want to assault the weed stem, anyway. A lot of weeds will grow back from the roots, so uprooting them is usually better. Plus you don't have to contaminate the site with Agent Orange or deal with the fact that lasers don't work very well on underground objects.

Weak Hominid "Innovators"... (4, Funny)

fuzzyfuzzyfungus (1223518) | about 5 months ago | (#47352475)

Advanced Mycorrhizal networking technology, as pioneered by fungi at least 400 million years ago, has been providing advanced inter-plant networking technology (as well as a robust nutrient exchange infrastructure) since you were small, shrew-like, creatures busy 'disrupting' dinosaurs.

Bah!

Re:Weak Hominid "Innovators"... (1)

cusco (717999) | about 5 months ago | (#47352525)

Rarely do I see a post that so well matches the username. Bravo!

Waste of Tech (2, Insightful)

CanHasDIY (1672858) | about 5 months ago | (#47352627)

Ever wonder why, after almost a century of technological development, a lot of small time and hobby farmers still drive 1940's era tractors?

A, because they're cheap to buy and fix. B, because if it ain't broke, it don't need fixin'.

I'm sure all these fancy garden toys are quite popular with the hipster, urban-farming-because-its-hip crowd, but for actual subsistence farming? Not so much.

Re:Waste of Tech (1)

K. S. Kyosuke (729550) | about 5 months ago | (#47353071)

It's probably mostly an issue of coping with limited areas, where you want to optimize stuff to hell. Gardening rarely intersects with tractor use (at least around here).

Re:Waste of Tech (2)

CanHasDIY (1672858) | about 5 months ago | (#47353331)

It's less about the tool itself and more about the mentality. A lot of people hobby farm for the joy of it (see other comments on this story), and this sort of tech takes away from the enjoyment. As for subsistence farmers, they're just one more expensive toy that will eventually break, potentially leaving them with damaged crops.

Huge factory farms and people who want to have pet plants but consistently forget to care for them might benefit from such devices, but I just don't see the demand coming from people who farm solely for fun and/or food.

Re:Waste of Tech (1)

istartedi (132515) | about 5 months ago | (#47357579)

I used quite a bit of tech in my last gardening endeavor, but not in an "Internet of things" way. I used Craigslist to scrounge for everything except my tomato seedlings. I used bamboo that was growing by the side of the house to cage the plants. It was like a big scavenger hunt to see whether or not I could get "something for nothing". I even saved seeds for the next year; but I think they got lost in the move. I moved too late in the growing season and had too much else going on to garden this year; but I can't wait to get back into it. My new place has an almond tree, so at least I've got nuts. Ummm... let me rephrase that...

Re:Waste of Tech (1)

wcrowe (94389) | about 5 months ago | (#47353075)

Good point. I don't so much want something that will regulate my water. Watering is not a problem. But show me something that will pull weeds and tie up tomatoes, and I'm all in.

Re:Waste of Tech (1)

CanHasDIY (1672858) | about 5 months ago | (#47353365)

I could go for a modified version of Microsoft's laser-based anti-mosquito system, set up to target garden pests.

That'd keep the grackles off my blackberries...

Re:Waste of Tech (0)

Go look up what John Deere commercial farm equipment does these days. Go on, we'll be waiting for you to come back with your jaw dropped. John Deere hires a LOT of CS graduates for many good reasons.

Side note: If these startups are smart, they'll target the commercial markets, not the consumer markets. The consumer markets will come in time, but the commerical market will allow them to remain profitable (as opposed to say bankrupt).

Re:Waste of Tech (1)

DerekLyons (302214) | about 5 months ago | (#47355371)

Because they're either dead broke, stupid, or they're fascinated by retro things. 1940's era tractors are uncomfortable, low power, and at best middling in reliability. (And while you can with ever increasing investment of man hours jerry rig them along, you can't get parts for them anywhere but on the (expensive) hobbyist market.) Just as with cars and most other things, anyone who can afford better has long since moved onto better.

We don't need a complicated technical "solution" (3, Insightful)

ljw1004 (764174) | about 5 months ago | (#47352631)

I've been using this wonderful device for controlling drip irrigation:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ... [amazon.com]

The user interface is brain-dead simple. The dial simply has 17 settings, for
1: Daily for 2 minutes
2: Daily for 5 minutes
3: Daily for 10 minutes ...
7: Every other day for 5 minutes
8: Every other day for 10 minutes ...
12: Every third day for 10 minutes
13: Every third day for 15 minutes

That's it! There isn't an option for "2 minutes every 3 days" because -- guess what -- gardeners don't actually need that level of control! It just has a laser focus on a simple user interface that will be good for 99% of residential customers.

Would my life be better if I had to change the batteries in the irrigation controller every 5 days to power its wifi? Or if I had to run mains power and Ethernet cabling out into the garden for it? Would my life be better if I had a fiddly iPhone/Android app with more settings pages than I'd care to use, maybe a cloud-based controller like my Nest? Do I ever go on holiday and wish I'd changed the watering schedule before departing?

Re:We don't need a complicated technical "solution (1)

CanHasDIY (1672858) | about 5 months ago | (#47352889)

I've been using this wonderful device for controlling drip irrigation:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ... [amazon.com]

I used something kind of like that for about two weeks, until one day I came home to find that the mechanism had spontaneously exploded* sometime hours before, and my garden had turned into a small swamp-like biome.

Now I just mulch properly and water in the morning/evening like I used to; the mulch makes all the difference in the world.

* Caveat, the model was one of those super-cheap ones from Harbor Freight, so I should have expected catastrophic failure.

Re:We don't need a complicated technical "solution (1)

TimothyDavis (1124707) | about 5 months ago | (#47353139)

Does your solution account for weather forecast? Because watering the lawn 12 hours before it is going to rain seems like a bit of a waste.

I'd love to have a timer that was smart enough to read the local weather forecast, and make decisions. I'd also love to have a timer where I could walk the zones in my garden periodically and using my smart phone/tablet and increase/decrease the amount of watering duration for the zone.

This is just a gimmick. (0)

Unless this system has a rain gauge, basing a watering schedule on weather forecasts is a sure way to kill your plants - really, how accurate are forecasts?

And even then, the forecasts just give a rain probability: not how much.

All this electronic shit just sucks more and more power and does not add that much to our lives.

It's one thing if you are a farmer (and they have things that blows the doors off of these gimmicks) but for a sub-urban gardener? Please. Your money is better spent on current technologies that do not require a $499 tablet - and $499 goes a looooonnng way with current gardening tech.

And for those of us who garden, we're out there just about everyday so these gimmicks will add nothing to our ability to grow our stuff.

Re:We don't need a complicated technical "solution (1)

HornWumpus (783565) | about 5 months ago | (#47353329)

Speaking as a Northern Californian. If I didn't waste the water they would just send it to LA.

Better here then there.

Wifi interference / outside singles (1)

Joe_Dragon (2206452) | about 5 months ago | (#47352653)

Wifi interference / trying to get an outside single. May get in the way of this working good.

Can I have... (0)

,,,a small thing that kills slugs?

Re:Can I have... (1)

HornWumpus (783565) | about 5 months ago | (#47353353)

A bowl full of beer?

They aren't choosy, even cereal malt beverages work. Slugs will even drink Coors or Corona.

Editors! (0)

Why won't you edit?

Watering is relaxing... (1)

Sir_Eptishous (873977) | about 5 months ago | (#47352715)

Most of my property is xeriscaped.

The rest is planter boxes with vegetables.
I manually, by hand, water my drought tolerant plants maybe twice a week.

What I have to water isn't huge, but it takes a while.
I actually enjoy watering. I get to see my plants, check how they are doing, etc;
I actually check the soil and how moist it is, see what bugs there are/aren't, the status of my garden in general as I water.

Maybe I'm odd but I actually like doing it.

I would assume if someone had a massive garden/yard then doing some kind of app based control of multiple drip systems, etc would be the way to go, but for me I would rather Keep It Simple Stupid. Plus I don't have to dick around with all of the management that comes with drip systems, sprinklers(nightmare), apps, phone settings, blah, blah, blah.

For me the garden is a way to get away from tech for a while.

Re:Watering is relaxing... (1)

wcrowe (94389) | about 5 months ago | (#47353095)

You are not odd.

Re:Watering is relaxing... (1)

nospam007 (722110) | about 5 months ago | (#47353217)

"I manually, by hand, water my planter box vegetables, herbs, fruit, etc usually daily. "

And you never take a vacation, manually or otherwise.

Re:Watering is relaxing... (1)

Sir_Eptishous (873977) | about 5 months ago | (#47353641)

There is a system, usually reliable, whereby I can call on my friends, neighbors and relatives to do my watering when I'm out of town.
Usually works pretty good if I give them a quick primer.

Costumers! (1)

Sir_Eptishous (873977) | about 5 months ago | (#47352727)

The company created a small, slick-looking, controller that costumers can connect instead of their old irrigation controller

I hope that Garden Gnome costume isn't too tight around the waist!

Re:Costumers! (1)

khr (708262) | about 5 months ago | (#47352949)

I hope that Garden Gnome costume isn't too tight around the waist!

It is if they spend too much time gulping Mountain Dew and scarfing down Cheetos while playing MUDs in the garden...

No, it's not (1)

wonkey_monkey (2592601) | about 5 months ago | (#47352749)

The Internet of Things Comes To Your Garden

Again with the "your." Unless the powers that be are going to force people to install e-Gnomes, the "Internet of Things" is not coming to my garden.

Cool for Techies but overkill for most farms (0)

Growing up on a farm we had timer for watering, it was a hands off process mostly and occurred at night. Trees grew just fine and the main issue was fixing drippers or repairing holes in the watering lines caused by rats or other vermin.

This type of farming worked just fine. However, if I could add technology to it easily and cheaply it would have been much better. Wireless inline pressure sensors that I could overlay onto a map to tell where breaks or holes were would save lots of time. Wireless PPM (parts per million) meters could help monitor distribution of fertilizer so I can make adjustments. Finally web cameras could help monitor the property for security or vermin threats.

On a small farm thats less than 50 acres this would allow me to be an armchair farmer, sit on my butt mostly and address issues as they come up. However thats now why you become a farmer, the interface with the plants and trees is the whole point.

These systems definately have advantages and disadvantages and I can see using them making you lazy and technology failures causing dead crops. I can also see them making life easier and growing more efficient.

One of the few places where the IOT appeals to me (0)

I think this is great. I think the IOT is mostly hype- I don't care if my washing machine tells me its out of soap, but if I'm on a trip and my garden is getting parched or flooded or my tomatoes are ripe then I want to know about it so I can send someone to check on it. Right now I handle this with a webcam, but that doesn't let me measure soil moisture content.

Plants grew fine without processors (2)

EMG at MU (1194965) | about 5 months ago | (#47352857)

I'm an embedded developer and also have a hobby garden. So when things got cheap enough I got really excited about building a contraption to monitor moisture, ph, amount of sun and to adjust fertilizer and water levels accordingly. Then I realized that for hobby gardeners this really defeats the purpose. We garden for fun, and at least for me, I don't like bringing technology to things that don't need it.

On the other hand, those guys out in colorado growing pot will love this kind of thing.

Re:Plants grew fine without processors (0)

Maybe. NorCal outdoor grows won't use it. If there's anything they need that's more hi-tech, it's line-of-sight analysis. I've seen some piss-poor concealment attempts. Also, somebody needs to make custom fencing that's cheaper. All the growers buy the same cheapo "bamboo" fencing from K-mart and it becomes a sign that says "look at me, I've got a grow behind this cheap ass fence".

I've also been wondering if anybody's working on a robot that can trim bud. Oh man though, they'd probably get shot for that because it'd dry up the supply of hot chicks from back East who come out here to trim.

Excellent (0)

I spend a ton of money on flowers and I always forget to water them. And I pay around 13$ pr. cubic meter around here (when I don't use rainwater) thanks to "green" taxes.

Apparently I'm behind the curve (0)

93 Escort Wagon (326346) | about 5 months ago | (#47353183)

I'm still watering my veggies with a sprinkler, for the most part. I check my soil's moisture with my finger, and I calculate how much water has been put down using either a couple tin cans or some cheapie rain gauges.

I guess this new equipment is now going to be added to the list of things I'm not using. On the bright side, it also means some hacker isn't going to turn my vegetable garden into a bog garden from the comfort of their parents' basement... they'll have to sneak into my yard and turn on the faucet by hand (and hope they make it past the dogs and the homeowner).

Re:Apparently I'm behind the curve (0)

I also manually water the vegetable garden. It's a pleasant, peaceful way to spend time in the cool mornings.

There are several advantages vs. fire and forget automated systems. When you're forced to visit the garden regularly controlling weeds become easier, frequently check the health of the plants, quickly train or prune the plants as needed, and more importantly you'll know exactly when something is ready to pick (hopefully before critters sneak in and steal all your hard work).

I used automated systems (timer, moisture sensors, rain gauges, etc) in the past, but all too often I'd forget about the garden for weeks on end resulting in either overgrown weeds or some animal helped themselves to all the snap peas because I failed to notice the pea were ready to be picked.

Am I the only one... (0)

Who reads the title as: The Internet of Things Comes To Your "Garden"?

Target audience (0)

Uh.. yeah, I have a remote "garden" in need of monitoring, watering, etc. My, uh, vegetables are very special to me in the remote hills of Colorado.

Re:Target audience (1)

HornWumpus (783565) | about 5 months ago | (#47353387)

Move to California. The laws are much better here.

Neckbeard gardeners want to know... (1)

bwwatr (3520289) | about 5 months ago | (#47353239)

what if I get stuck in a walled garden?

Tech Garden...Empty Wallet (1)

pubwvj (1045960) | about 5 months ago | (#47353491)

They've figured out one more gadget mobile way to extract unnecessary money from your wallet. You'll feel lighter, slimmer and faster without all that money clogging up your bank account!

need remote-controlled floodgate (1)

Sloppy (14984) | about 5 months ago | (#47354235)

Handling water may possibly become my first Arduino or RaspPi project, if I can get through my newbie ignorance, and learn some new tricks as an old dog.

We have flood irrigation that comes in from an acequia every couple weeks (used to be every week, but times are changing) at an irregular rate at irregular time-of-day. (You can't deal with this, just using timers, and the amount of water pressure is tiny compared to what you usually have on a typical garden hose, so lots of cheap ubiquitous gadgets don't work here.) I leave a floodgate open (i.e. remove a coffee can from the end of a tube), go to work, go back home for lunch, go back to work, go home at end of day. For various reasons that you can probably imagine, it's bad to leave the floodgate open after we have collected a certain amount of water. Things work out fine if it happens to finish at lunch time (or if it's so slow that it hasn't finished until end of day), but otherwise, someone has to leave their workplace and go home to deal with it.

That is lame, in a way that really does (slightly) matter.

Thus I'm tempted to either build a sensor (or just cheeze out with a webcam, though that's less geeky) and some kind of remote-controllable motorized floodgate.

AFAICT nobody sells anything for this; it's up to me. As it happens, there are lots of guides online for building this kind of stuff, but they're all within the context of Dwarf Fortress! Yeah, right, as if I want a gate that'll remain stuck open just because there's a butterfly or elephant carcass in the way.

Lower tech solution: find retired neighbor to do it, in exchange for beer or something. This is actually the cheapest/smartest way to do, but rubs me the wrong way. I'm sure you all understand.

Epic Fail (1)

the eric conspiracy (20178) | about 5 months ago | (#47354963)

The reason I have a garden is to have a place where I can go outside and putter around with living things. The pace at which things happen in the garden is very slow and relaxing. The needs of the plants are simple.

The most stressful thing that happens in my garden is the annual competition between me and the birds to see who will get the grapes and blueberries. Really though I don't mind much if the birds get some. They are enjoyable to have around in their own way.

The last thing I want is some sort of automation that takes away from this process and replaces it with the technology that I am trying to escape from with my hobby.

Sigh (1)

That's all I need, fucking ads while picking my tomatoes.

Gardeners appear to be against it (2)

reboot246 (623534) | about 5 months ago | (#47355319)

I just read every post (up to this point), and it's the real gardeners who are opposed to the tech solutions.

That's not what gardening is about. You have to get out there and get your hands dirty to enjoy it. I was born with a "green thumb" and can grow almost anything, even plants that are supposed to be outside of my growing zone. But you gotta be out there with 'em to know what they need and when they need it. Too many people over-water, plant in the wrong place, or over-fertilize and then wonder what went wrong.

I even like my weeds. Many of them are edible!

My chiles (0)

My chiles don't need no steenking internet.

yuo fai7 i7! (-1)

It wa5 fun. If I'm

I love gardening but I am very short of time... (1)

ctrl-alt-canc (977108) | about 5 months ago | (#47357843)

...I think I will continue mowing the grass by myself, rather than wasting twice the time fixing network interfaces, rebooting controllers, changing batteries, etc.

I demand this! (1)

sabbede (2678435) | about 5 months ago | (#47358817)

The fact that my cucumbers aren't on my home network is a source of constant shame and sorrow.